Sunday, July 24, 2022

Yankees & I Don't Get the Job Done

Well, it finally happened: Between this seemingly never-ending heat wave getting to me, and my inability to get to sleep last night, resulting in my inability to get up this morning, for the 1st time all season, I was unable to get my written report of the Yankees' previous game done in time for their next game to begin. For only the 3rd time all season, albeit for the 2nd time in a week, I was unable to get a video report done in time for the first pitch of the next game. 

What the hell: I'm 95-1 with the former, and 93-3 with the latter. If you did this well at your job, you'd probably keep it.

And it's not like the Yankees did any better last night. They started off okay, with DJ LeMahieu beginning it with a single, followed immediately by Aaron Judge with an RBI double. Matt Carpenter hit a home run in the top of the 2nd inning. And Judge singled home another run in the 4th, to give them a three to nothing lead. 

But they scored no further runs the rest of the way. Gerrit Cole, the alleged ace, pitched brilliantly for the 1st 4 innings, then allowed 2 runs in the 5th, before settling down in the 6th. He talked manager Aaron Boone into letting him go out for the 7th, and it was a mistake for both of them. Cole had nothing left, and before the inning was over, the Birds had taken the lead. They extended it off Albert Abreu in the 8th.

Orioles 6, Yankees 3. WP: Cionel Pérez (5-1). SV: Jorge Lopez (18). LP: Cole (9-3). A bad game, and I didn't get my coverage of it done for you in time. A failure all around. The good news is, unlike the Yankees, I'm not getting paid millions of dollars a year to do my job. The bad news is, well, the same thing.

The series conclusion has already begun this afternoon. Nestor Cortes started against Dean Kremer. As I type this, it's already the bottom of the 2nd inning, and there's no score, although the O's are threatening.

No comments: