Saturday, December 31, 2011

You Say You Want a Resolution?

For this last post of the calendar year, let's check my New Year's Resolutions for 2011, and see how I did:

* Do a better job at my new job, unless I can find a better one.

Can't say I did much better, although I did get a Christmas bonus this year, which I did not get last year, so I must be doing something right. On a scale of 0 to 10, a 6.

* Treat Ashley and Rachel equally.

No. I won't say which one I'd been favoring, but the other one doesn't seem too upset with it. Still, this was a failure. This is a 2 at most.

* Get to a few more Yankee games -- home and away.

Nope. Just one. I didn't even get to Yankee Stadium II for either of the games the Rutgers football team played there this season, either the win over Army or yesterday's Pinstripe Bowl, in which they beat Iowa State 27-13. But I did, at the least, "complete the circuit," getting to all 3 "local" ballparks: Yankee Stadium, Citi Field and Citizens Bank Park in Philly. So it's somewhat appropriate that I give this a 3.

* Come up with the money to make a trip to Europe, or at least to Britain.

Nope. The closest I got to seeing Arsenal live was one Red Bulls game, with Thierry Henry -- who is about to go back to Arsenal on a 2-month loan. (They beat fellow Londoners Queens Park Rangers today, 1-0.) This is a big fat 0.

* Call right-wingers out on their lies and ignorance. I think I already do a good job of this, but it must be done, perhaps more than ever. The 2012 election is less than a years away.

To borrow a phrase their side likes, "Mission Accomplished." For the most part. An 8.

Total, 19. Out of 5, 24. Average, 4.8. That's pathetic.

*

So here are my New Year's Resolutions for 2012:

For this last post of the calendar year, let's check my New Year's Resolutions for 2011, and see how I did:

* Do a better job at my new job, unless I can find a better one. (Again.)

* Remember that Ashley and Rachel are 4, soon to be 5, and that they won't understand everything I say, but they will hear things I say, and that I should temper my words accordingly. So as to avoid awkward questions. I mentioned the word "war" to them earlier this year, and Rachel asked, "What's war?" I told her the truth: It's when 2 countries have a fight with each other. She seemed to accept that definition.

* Get to a few more Yankee games -- home and away. (Again.)

* Come up with the money to make a trip to Europe, or at least to Britain. (Again, this resolution is made. Maybe 2012-13 will be the season -- if not 2012 being the calendar year.)

* Help President Obama get re-elected, and get the House of Representatives back, and keep the Senate, so that his 2nd term will have more caffeine and less Tea.

* Treat people better. Even when a lot of them piss me off. (Admittedly, this could be either the easiest to pull off, or the hardest.)

Happy New Year, and don't celebrate too hard. I want you alive to read my blog in 2012 and beyond.

No comments: