Friday, August 21, 2015
Stephen Reached 3 Times, But Yanks Drew Blank
The Yankees began a 4-game home series with the Cleveland Indians last night. Since the Indians beat the Yankees 2 out of 3 in Cleveland during a dry spell with the bats last week, we wanted to show them we were ready for them.
Ivan Nova did his best to show them. Joe Girardi only pitched him for 5 innings, and he allowed 3 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks. But his binder said, "94 pitches means take the starter out."
Actually, that wasn't a bad decision: Adam Warren and Chris Capuano, 2 of the most reviled Yankee pitchers in recent memory, each pitched 2 scoreless innings, allowing just 3 baserunners between them in 4.
But, again, good Yankee pitching was betrayed by poor Yankee hitting. Here are all the Yankee baserunners:
* 3rd inning: Chase Headley led off with a double. After an out, Stephen Drew walked. Both were stranded.
* 4th: Alex Rodriguez hit a home run, his 26th of the season.
* 5th: Drew, well, he drew another walk. He was stranded.
* 8th: Drew singled with 1 out. Again, he was stranded.
* 9th: A-Rod led off with a single. He stole 2nd. After Brian McCann struck out, Carlos Beltran singled him home, and it looked like a walkoff comeback was in the making. Chris Young was sent in to pinch-run for Beltran. Greg Bird drew a walk, and the tying and winning runs were on base with 1 out. But Headley grounded to 1st, and Didi Gregorius flew to left.
So there you have it: Last night, the Yankees had 8 baserunners, and Stephen Drew, whose on-based percentage -- not his batting average, his OBP -- is just .263, was 3 of them, and didn't score any of those 3 times.
Indians 3, Yankees 2. WP: Josh Tomlin (1-1). SV: Cody Allen (24). LP: Nova (5-5).
The series continues tonight, with Masahiro Tanaka starting for the Yankees, and Hector Carrasco for the Indians.
Tomorrow afternoon is Jorge Posada Day. Laura's husband gets his Monument Park Plaque, and his Number 20 will be retired. Oh yes, there will be a game. The starting pitchers will be Luis Severino and Danny Salazar.
Sunday is Andy Pettitte Day. The Hooded Hawk gets his Plaque, and his Number 46 will be retired. As for the game, the starting pitchers will be CC Sabathia and Trevor Bauer.
Come on you Pinstripes! Do it for the recent Yankee Legends!