When you lose a game, the honorable first thing to is to credit the opposition.
But when you spend as much money on a baseball team as the New York Yankees have done -- just under $198 million for this season, according to USA Today -- then crediting Jake Arrieta (2-2) for throwing 8 shutout innings is overshadowed by the Yankees' inability to get more than 5 hits last night:
* A 2-out single by Alex Rodriguez in the 1st -- and then Robinson Cano struck out.
* A 1-out single by A-Rod in the 4th -- followed by Cano striking out and Mark Teixeira weakly grounding back to Arrieta.
* A leadoff single by Raul Ibanez in the 5th -- followed by Eduardo Nunez taking a called third strike, Andruw Jones flying out, and Russell Martin getting robbed by Nick Markakis in right field.
* A 1-out single by Curtis Granderson in the 6th -- and then A-Rod grounds into a double play.
* And a leadoff single by Cano in the 7th -- and then Teix strikes out, Ibanez flies out, and the useless Nunez pops up.
That is unacceptable.
Meanwhile, Ivan Nova (3-1) lost a game for the first time since June 3, 2011 in Anaheim -- 11 months. He wasn't awful last night, but allowed 5 runs (4 of them earned) in 6 1/3 innings.
Orioles 5, Yankees 0. Baltimore takes 2 out of 3 in New York. That is unacceptable.
The Yankees have flown out to Kansas City for a 4-game weekend series against the royals. Here's the starting pitching matchups:
* Tonight: David Phelps (0-0) vs. Danny Duffy (1-2).
* Tomorrow night: CC Sabathia (3-0) vs. Bruce Chen (0-3).
* Saturday night: Hiroki Kuroda (2-3) vs. a Royal pitcher yet to be announced.
* Sunday afternoon: Phil Hughes (1-4 and possibly pitching for his job) vs. Luke Hochevar (2-2).
The Yankees are now 13-11, 3 1/2 games (3 in the loss column) behind the Tampa Bay Rays. Also unacceptable. But the Royals are 7-16, with only the Minnesota Twins at 6-18 having a worse record in all of baseball.
Time to make a statement. Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City, yessiree. They got four baseball games there, and we're gonna get us at least three.
Arsenal: Jeff Reine-Adelaide Singing Eerily Familiar Tune
57 minutes ago