Saturday, April 22, 2023

If I Search My Feelings

So, yesterday was not a good day for me. Usually, when I have a bad day, I can say, "At least the hips don't hurt me anymore, and I have my health." But I've been battling bronchitis for 2 months, and, to make literal the saying of civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Arsenal FC, still in 1st place in the Premier League, were playing at home to Southampton FC, in 20th and last place. They let in a goal in the 1st 30 seconds, and eventually trailed 3-1. They stormed back late to snatch a 3-3 draw. A win would have gotten them 3 points in the League standings, the draw only 1. And their next game is away to the team chasing them, Manchester City, who not only usually beat Arsenal solidly in Manchester, but have 2 games in hand. It doesn't look good.

The draw did, however, clinch at least 4th place in the League, meaning they will be in the UEFA Champions League next season. It also meant that they will finish ahead of their North London arch-rivals, Tottenham Hotspur. For the 1st time in 6 years, there was a St. Totteringham's Day.

After the game, I prepared the traditional St. T's Day meal: A lasagne. But it was a Marie Callender's TV dinner, and not very good. Fitting for a disappointing draw.

Then I headed out to Dunkin Donuts. Except, unknown to me at the time, the closest Dunkin to me is closed for renovations. I was like Luke Skywalker, hearing Darth Vader tell me he was dear old Dad: "No... No... That's not true... That's impossible!" ("Search your feelings: You know it to be true!") "NOOOOOOOO! No... " I had to settle for Starbucks. Yes, compared to Dunkin, Starbucks is "settling."

And then, I couldn't watch the Yankees, because of their Friday night deal with Apple. It was just as well. They started a 3-game home series with those pesky Toronto Blue Jays. Domingo Germán started, and he did not have good stuff, going 6 innings, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits and 2 walks. Albert Abreu didn't help matters out of the bullpen, allowing 2 runs in the 8th inning.

The Yankees didn't hit much, either. Oswaldo Cabrera hit a home run in the 2nd inning, but they couldn't follow it up at all. Blue Jays 6, Yankees 1. WP: Yusei Kikuchi (3-0). No save. LP: Germán (1-2).

And the Devils trail the Ranger Scum 2-0 in the Playoffs, with the next 2 at Madison Square Garden. We Devils fans will be lucky if they give us a Game 5 back at the Prudential Center.

The Yanks-Jays series continues this afternoon. Gerrit Cole starts against Alek Manoah. If I search my feelings, I know Cole is going to help. But will he be enough to make today a better day?

No comments: