Saturday, October 29, 2022

October 29, 2012: Hurricane Sandy

The Seaside Heights roller coaster, ruined

October 29, 2012, 10 years ago: Hurricane Sandy strikes the New York Tri-State Area, the most destructive storm ever to hit the region. It kills 233 people, including 53 people in New York and 37 people in New Jersey. The damage is especially devastating on the Jersey Shore and Staten Island. In my hometown of East Brunswick, New Jersey, power was out for a full 7 days.

The day before, on Facebook, I posted:

New Jersey Transit buses and trains will suspend service at 4:00 this afternoon, in anticipation of the effects of Hurricane Sandy.

New York subways and buses will do so at 7:00 tonight.

PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) trains will wait until midnight. I guess Jersey City think they're tougher than everyone else.

A few minutes later, the last sporting event in the New York Tri-State Area before the hurricane hit was completed. The New York Jets were hosting Miami, the city best known for facing hurricanes, at the Meadowlands. I wrote, "Well, it's official. Disaster conditions in New Jersey. Dolphins 30, Jets 9."

The New York Giants beat the Dallas Cowboys on the road, 29-24, and I wrote, "I wonder if the Giants were able to fly back home. I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in a crummy city like Dallas." (They were able to fly home.)

On October 29, we were hit by hard rain and heavy wind all day, but the power stayed on through daylight. My Facebook postings went like this:

* So far, here, it's no worse than an ordinary, if windy, autumn storm. A mess with the fallen leaves, but that's it. As long as we have power and food, we're okay.

* This hurricane is hitting Central Jersey like we're Jeff Weaver. (A reference to the Yankee pitcher who threw away the 2003 World Series.

Accuweather.com is saying which hours over the next few days have such-and-such percent chance of rain. But not what kind - drizzle, shower, thunderstorm, cats-n-dogs - nor what speed of wind we can expect.

It's like a menu saying, "We have meat, vegetables and drinks, and it will cost you some money." And that's it.

* Based on what I'm reading off Channel 6 Action News out of Philly, Sandy should start crawling up the Jersey coast at around 8:00 tonight. The worst of it will hit my area at around midnight. Hopefully, by that point I'll be ready to fall asleep, so losing power won't be as big a problem - if it happens. By the morning, the wind should be significantly reduced, but there's going to be rain for much of the day.

Then it's just a matter of when NJ Transit will resume normal service.

* (A reference to the Obama vs. Romney election, 8 days later) At times like this, a CEO is useless. What's he going to do, fire the hurricane? Transfer it to another city? Outsource it to another country? Offer it stock options if it'll do something helpful? Offer it a "golden parachute" if it'll go away?

A CEO can't help us now. A community organizer is exactly what we need - before, during, and after the storm.

* (At 5:30 PM) Just heard on WCBS 880: Sandy has made landfall, in Cape May. 134 miles away.

I was beginning to think we were going to get away with it. But at 7:00 PM on the dot, already dark, the lights went out. We had flashlights, candles, and fully-charged phones, and the phone charger in the car still worked. And, while we were one block from a river, we were on relatively high ground, so flooding wasn't an issue. I typed:

Well, that's it. The power is out. Just as I was sitting down to dinner, too.
Since my phone's battery drains rather easily, I'm going to have to be very judicious with its use. This may be the last time you hear from me until the morning when I get to work - if, that is, bus service is restored by then.

Although my home base is still without power, 5 days later, I did get through Hurricane Sandy all right.

New posts will have to wait until I can use a computer other than my smartphone for more than a few minutes at a time.


But I did make it through. I didn't want anyone to worry...

Until I can type for longer, I hope you all made it through as well, and that we'll all have power again soon.

Power returned on November 5, after 7 days. We were lucky. A lot of people weren't. On March 24, 2013, 5 months later, the family took my 5-year-old nieces to Point Pleasant Beach for the annual Palm Sunday Easter Egg Hunt. The town had replaced the parts of the Boardwalk that had been wrecked.

Point Pleasant Beach is at the top of a sandbar, separated from the mainland by Barnegat Bay, which includes the famous (or infamous) Seaside Heights, and also South Seaside Park, where my father's parents had a bungalow where they spent Summer weekends, and where my parents watch the 1st Moon landing on TV in 1969.

For old times' sake, we went down the sandbar on New Jersey Route 35, where everything was hit by wind coming off both the Atlantic Ocean and Barnegat Bay. There was so much devastation. Houses shattered. Some seeming intact, but cockeyed and leaning off their foundations. Much of the Seaside Heights boardwalk was still being repaired. The bungalow was still there, apparently unharmed.

But, 10 years later, there are still communities on Staten Island and Long Island working to rebuild. 

No comments: